Christmas has long been thought of as the most wonderful time of the year, and with good reason. Christmas is a time for sharing love and festive holiday spirit with everyone you come across, from friends and family to neighbors and even strangers on the street.
The feeling of magic and merrymaking fills the air during the holiday season almost everywhere you go. No matter where you are on Earth, from Australia to England, there are people celebrating Christmas.
The Christmas customs recognized by people vary as much as the people themselves, but one thing always remains the same during the Christmas season, a feeling of giving and hope.
Christmas is regarded as the holiday for giving presents to those around you. In most places where Christmas is recognized, people give gifts to their family members, friends, co-workers, and people who help them out throughout the year such as teachers, mailmen, waiters, nannies, etc.
Many people go wild during the shopping season and spend lots of money on those they love, but people also make Christmas gifts at home.
Desserts like cookies, cakes and candies are also hugely popular as Christmas gifts. Gifts are synonymous with Christmastime, as it is the season of giving.
Christmas cards are also hugely popular. People often send them to friends and family members, as well as people who have been a part of their lives that they do not get to see often.
They are sent through the mail or by email. They can be purchased in stores, made at home by hand, or made on the computer. There are thousands of different options for Christmas cards.
Decorations for Christmas are some of the most beautiful that you will ever see. Many people adorn the outside of their homes with elaborate lights, elegant wreaths, illuminated figurines, and decorated trees.
The outside of one’s home is a great opportunity to showcase their Christmas spirit and many people love to go over the top with their outdoor Christmas decorations.
Inside, it is customary in many places to put up a Christmas tree. Some people prefer to put up fake trees, as they are easier to manage and do not leave needles everywhere! Some people, however, swear by real trees, as they have a rich pine smell and look incredibly beautiful.
People embellish their trees with colorful ornaments, strands of lights, bows, tinsel, garlands and usually an angel or star on top.
Trees are often put up in the weeks prior to Christmas; although some people like to put them up right after Thanksgiving, and department stores and malls often put them up in early November! They are usually taken down around New Year’s, but some people leave them up until well into January.
Throughout the home, people also decorate their mantels, stair railings, interior doors and windows, kitchen and dining room tables and so much more! Some people like to decorate their entire home from top to bottom, while others stick to the living room.
Either way, Christmas adornments are incredibly popular and help to put everyone in the holiday spirit.
Throughout the holiday season, one of the most beloved Christmas customs is the eating and drinking that comes with holiday parties and gatherings.
People love to bake decadent desserts and pastries, as well as candies and cookies. Rich and savory appetizers are often served at holiday parties, as well as glorious turkeys and hams, heavy comfort foods like mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese, and warm rolls and biscuits.
One thing can be said for holiday meals, including Christmas dinner, the food is heavy and certainly not calorie conscious!
Another of the most popular Christmas customs is to create Christmas crafts. People make handmade decorations, presents for friends and family, and fun little trinkets for their own homes.
Crafts are done by children of all ages in school and at home during the holiday break, keeping them occupied and out of trouble! There are many Christmas craft fairs as well, where you can purchase handmade goods.
Christmas Games and Activities
There are thousands of games and activities that are played during the holiday season. From playing outside in the snow to Christmas centered relay races, there is something for everyone to do that pertains to the holiday season.
People love to drive through town and look at holiday lights and baking and making crafts are popular activities as well.
Christmas around the World
Christmas is celebrated in most countries. It is a Christian holiday, but many other faiths celebrate the secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating and putting up Christmas trees.
Many countries focus less on the commercial aspects of the holiday, like buying gifts and spending lots of money, and more on the religious and familial aspects of the holiday.
Pretty much everywhere you go in the world during Christmas time, the pervasive feeling in the air is of love, kindness and joy. These universal themes tie the whole world together during the holiday season.
For more on all of these Christmas Customs, click on the links below. Merry Christmas!
- Christmas Around The World
- While the many traditions of Christmas around the world are as vast and different as the people who live here, one thing remains the same: the celebrations of love and family togetherness.
- Christmas Decorating Ideas
- Check out these easy and creative Christmas decorating ideas that will have your home filled with Christmas cheer!
- Christmas Lighting
- Decorating your home for the holidays would not be complete without gorgeous, bright, colorful Christmas lighting.
- Christmas Tree Shop
- If you plan to put up a tree this holiday season, you will need to visit a Christmas tree shop for your entire tree decorating needs!
- Christmas Tree History
- The real history of the Christmas tree began sometime after Puritans banned the trees in New England.
- Christmas Tree Decorating Ideas
- Christmas tree decorating ideas are more about the warmth and affection in our souls than the ‘annual’ display. Decorate with your heart, and you will truly be ‘home for the holidays’!
- Christmas Scenes
- Classic Christmas scenes are different for everyone, but there are certain images that make people everywhere think of Christmas.
- Christmas Activities
- One way to really enjoy one another, as well as the season, is to participate in Christmas activities that are exciting and amusing for the whole family.
- Christmas Games
- Kids love Christmas games and there are many kid friendly activities out there to keep them occupied and to liven up any holiday party.
- Christmas Gifts Ideas
- Check out for great Christmas gifts ideas that are unique and different and are sure to honor the special people in your life.
- Christmas Craft Ideas
- Here are some great Christmas craft ideas that will help you and your kids create fun crafts together during the blustery winter days.
- Christmas Background
- Christmas Background can be created using online tools or can be downloaded from internet web pages for free or for a small fee.
- Funny Christmas
- Enjoy a funny Christmas holiday by telling jokes and memories about funny Christmases from the past and make new memories with your family and friends.
- Christmas Greetings
- There are many options for how to send your Christmas greetings to your friends and family, so check out some of these great ideas for sending cards and messages to the ones you love!
- Christmas Recipes
- Check out these tasty Christmas recipes that will please your whole crowd.
- Christmas Carol Lyrics
- There is something about the Christmas carol lyrics that make the season truly begin. I can see the wreaths, the lights, the toys abounding in stores ....
- Poem for Christmas
- The poem for Christmas that is arguably the most well-known is “A Visit from St. Nicholas” also known as “‘Twas the Night before Christmas.”
- Links page of http://www.christmascustoms.net/